Sunday, November 18, 2012

Berlin...

We are in Berlin!  Made great time on the autobahn UNTIL about 20 miles outside the city when we hit a contruction zone and traffic went down to one lane for probably 10 or so miles.  As I keep saying, drivers on the autobahn are crazy.  Dave drives around 85MPH (to keep from getting run over) and cars pass like we're standing still.  He tells me that most of the drivers go between 95 and 110MPH and up.  My sister, Sandy, always says "speed is good" but I'm not so sure about some of these crazies.
We stopped to eat at a "truck stop" along the autobahn that was full of parked semis.  Large trucks are not allowed on the autobahn on Sundays unless they are carrying perishable cargo.  That is really a good thing since most Germans tend to get out and about on weekends and there doesn't need to be more congestion on the road.
I was reading the tour book on the way up and there a lot of things to do here in the two days we plan to be here.  I was here in '98 and  I actually remember many of the really neat places.  The car is in the parking garage and we will be taking the Underground since it seems to be a really good transit system and easier on the nerves than driving.  The population is 3.43 million so I'm sure the U will be just as crowded as the streets.  We'll see. 
Off to dinner and maybe a walk around to see what there is to see in this area.  The hotel is on the River Spree and in the Tiergarten (Zoo) district.  Very nice hotel.
Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment