Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Down day today -- thank goodness...

Today was a down day with no tours, plans, etc.  Great day since I was getting tired from all of the running so I slept in until an ungodly hour to be left unnamed. 
We met up in the hotel lobby at noon and went into Garmisch for lunch to a bistro named Mukkefuck -- I kid you not.  Don't have any idea what that means but the food was great.  I actually had a ham and cheese sandwich on a bagette that was not overwhelming for a change but delicious.  Dave ordered a salad which was huge but he managed to eat every bit of it.  (I hope that his Mom stocks up on food before he gets home for Christmas -- hint, hint, Jeannette.)  Like I've said the food is amazing here and meals are an "event." A dinner can be good for 2 hours or more and the wait staff never hurry you up or try to get you to abandon the table for another diner.   One of my favorite things about European dining is how customers bring their dogs along and into the restaurants with them.   The dogs I've seen are actually much better behaved than some children I've seen in the states.  It is also very rare to see a German child who is misbehaving.  I don't know why but it's a good thing.
After the bistro, we walked past a shop called the "Frog King" (but in German) and had to go inside because they had such wonderful things in the windows.  I found a great hand knit hat there that I just love.  Great buy!  Headed to the Post and went to the Commissary/PX/German shop there.  Found another great hat there and another card for my camera.  Very nice shops.  BTW, hats are very important here just to retain body heat.  The temp has been around 40-50 here during the day but the mountain air is so much different than home.  It is clear and crisp and makes you glad to be alive.  It so reminds me of Colorado so it must be the mountains.  Today it was another cloudy day but tomorrow and Thursday are supposed to be better.  It would be such a shame to be in the Alps without every having seen them.
Have to decide on dinner. 
Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment