Friday, November 9, 2012

Regensburg...

We spent the day in Regensburg which is an absolutely gorgeous old city which was founded by the Romans over 2,000 years ago.  There is a bridge there that was built there in 1135 with it being the first bridge to span the Danube River.  The Danube and the Regen Rivers converge there. This bridge opened major international trade routes between northern Europe and Venice, and this began Regensburg's golden age as a residence of wealthy trading families. Regensburg also became the cultural centre of southern Germany and was celebrated for its gold work and fabrics.
Shopping (one of my favorite pastimes) is excellent there as well as the food.  We ate lunch at an outdoor cafe which served some of the best sausage and kraut I've had in ages.  Both are hard to beat in Germany.  The sausage was like small breakfast links that Dave (my old student worker who I am visiting) said they made them that size so that they could shove them through the keyholes of the houses whenever customers ordered them.  It doesn't sound real sanitary but I don't think that they did that with the ones we ate. 
Headed back and then went to dinner at an amazing restaurant called Winkler Brau which is located in Velburg/Lengenfeld.  It is a four star restaurant/brewery/convention center/hotel/spa and is absolutely amazing.  I had the roast pork in cream sauce, potato dumpling and spatzle.  Thank goodness we walked about 2-3 miles today in Regensburg! 
Tomorrow to Zirndorf (where I used to live) and to Nurnberg.  Should be interesting! 

P. S.  I tried to post pictures but they wouldn't go.  I'll keep trying but it may have to wait until I get home.


No comments:

Post a Comment