Monday, November 12, 2012

Garmisch - Partenkirchen...

Sorry that I couldn't post to blog yesterday.  Dave and I left Velburg Sunday AM and headed to Garmisch-Partenkirchen via Munich.  Weather on Sunday was rainy but it was about 45 degrees so not bad.  We went through Munich which is teeming with construction.  Dave is an excellent driver and "Greta" (his GPS that I just named) speaks German like a pro and hasn't got us lost yet.  Got to Garmisch-Partenkirchen in time for a late lunch and also the Martini Market.  It is named after St. Martin and not the drink.  It was absolutely crazy with all of the vendors and all of the stores were open so we had to go shopping.  Dave is an excellent shopper (thank you, Jeannette) and we did manage to find a couple of really neat items.  We ate lunch at the combination bakerei (bakery)/gasthaus (restaurant) and as always, the food was awesome.   We then headed to the Edelweiss Resort which is for service members and their guests.  The Resort is gorgeous and in the town in the foothills of the Alps.  Really beautiful!
We headed to a restaurant recommended by the staff and I had sauerbraten, potatoes (of course) and red cabbage.  The portions are enough for 2-3 people and I feel guilty for leaving stuff on my plate but there is just so much one can eat!
Today -- Monday...
We started the day by taking a bus  tour to Neuschweinstein Castle, which was the home of  "Mad" King Ludwig II from 1869 until his death in 1886.  He only lived in the castle for 172 days before he was declared insane and then died a mysterious death.  Only 14 rooms were finished.  The master bedroom is (to me) the most awesome room in the castle.  It took 14 carvers 4 years to complete all of the woodwork in the master bedroom.  Do a google search, check out the castle and you'll understand why.  Today was really not a very nice day with foggy/rainy/crappy weather so we were limited as to what we could see from the castle.  But since the main attraction at the castle is the interior it was not a total loss.  Temp was around 45 so even with the drizzle it was bearable. 
On the way to the castle we saw a lot of barns/houses/businesses who have solar panels on the roof.  Our guide told us that the installation is subsidized by the government and that on the average it takes only 10 years to recover the cost.
We got back from the castle in time to go on a brewery tour at the town of Murnau at the Greisbrau Brewery.  Our guide, Wolfgang, who is the owner and brewmaster, was a hoot and it was fun.  Samples of 5 different biers were passed out and enjoyed by almost everyone.  I don't like bier so I just passed my out to the rest of the people and they were not unhappy with that at all.  We ended up having dinner at the brewery and it was delicious.  I had goulash and red cabbage and some of the apple strudel.  Thank goodness we walked down from the castle today (about 3 kilometers) or I think I'd explode.  We met some nice people on both tours and Dave and them were talking in initials or army-speak.  Nice group.
Well, I think I've had all I can handle for one day and I'm going to hit the sack.  I think I'm going to have a massage tomorrow to work out the kinks and then we'll go shopping in the PM.
Wednesday we're planning on going to Linderhof Castle if all goes well. 
Seriously, check these places out on google -- they are positively awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment